[openstack-dev] [Nova] Adding a xenapi_max_ephemeral_disk_size_gb flag

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Thu Jun 20 17:02:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have had some discussions about if I should add a config flag in this change:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/32760/

I am looking to support adding a large amount of ephemeral disk space
to a VM, but the VHD format has a limit of around 2TB per disk. To
work around this in XenServer, I plan to add several smaller disks to
make up the full ephemeral disk space.

To me it seems worth adding a configuration flag (in this case),
because there is no easy way to guess the correct value, and there
doesn't seem to be a great value to hardcode it to. Having said that,
I suspect the default value will be all most people need, whether or
not they have very large ephemeral disk space in their flavors.

I am curious about what people think (in general, and in this case)
about the tradeoff between: hardcode, magic heuristic calculation, add
config

John