[openstack-dev] Migrating plugins from Nova to Quantum

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Thu Jun 20 08:38:58 UTC 2013

On 06/19/2013 09:39 PM, Abhishek Chanda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there an official guide to migrate nova network plugins to quantum
> plugins (or rather, neutron plugins)?

Hi,
Sadly we have not made much progress with this. There are a number of
issues to consider when moving from traditional nova networking to quantum:
1. Converting the existing network configurations
2. Ensuring that running VM's can be connected to the neutron (took me
about 2 minutes to write that) network. This is challenging as network
implementations may change, for example one may go from a traditional
linux bridge to a openvswitch implementation. In some cases this may be
trivial and in others it may be problematic. We have still to come up
with the best way of doing this. Each hypervisor layer will need to be
investigated and understood how to address this.
Thanks
Gary