[openstack-dev] Multiple API version endpoints

Frittoli, Andrea (Cloud Services) frittoli at hp.com
Thu Jun 20 00:31:29 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

While reviewing nova v3 tests, I realized that there is no nova V3 endpoint
defined in the catalog in devstack.

Test have to get the v2 URL, parse it, strip the "v2" string out and replace
it with a "v3" one.

Because of this I filed https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1191798.

However working on this I came across two other points:

-          There is no support in keystone for having multiple endpoints for
different api versions

-          The following email thread about this topic
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-April/008318.html

I'm not very happy with the idea of think having the client mangling the URL
to build the right one for the version they need - this would be forcing the
restriction of having each API version running behind the same domain name
and port, which may not be the case in some deployments.

IMO keystone is merely exposing the catalogue facility to other services,
which are responsible for provisioning the catalog with endpoints, and to
maintain those endpoints as well, including multiple versions if needed.

The solution I proposed for the bug I filed relies on an additional service
type called computev3, which can be configured in the clients. However I
would prefer to keep the service name to compute, and have the ability of
selecting a specific API version from the catalogue.

Thoughts? Thanks!

andrea

--

Andrea Frittoli