[openstack-dev] [Heat] Does it make sense to have a resource-create API?

Christopher Armstrong chris.armstrong at rackspace.com
Wed Jun 19 03:18:20 UTC 2013

Hi Adrian, thanks for the response. I'll just respond to one thing
right now (since it's way after hours for me ;)

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Adrian Otto <adrian.otto at rackspace.com> wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2013, at 3:44 PM, Christopher Armstrong <chris.armstrong at rackspace.com>
>  wrote:
>
>> tl;dr POST /$tenant/stacks/$stack/resources/ ?
>
> Yes.

[snip]

>> This is basically the gist of the question. I believe the answer
>> should be the same as the answer about any other type of resource we
>> might want to manipulate through the API -- it seems best that either
>> all resource types are manipulated through a generic resource
>> manipulation API, or they should all have their own specific ReST
>> collection.
>
> Give them specific collections, so they can be easily specialized.

These two points are contradictory, aren't they? The main point of my
email was trying to decide between the two -- either create the
autoscaling resources by POSTing to a generic "resources" collection,
or by POSTing to specific URLs that represent the *type* of resource
I'm creating.

(it seems like the idea of creating these resources in the Heat stack
*at all* is under debate as well, but I just wanted to address this
one point in this email).

--
IRC: radix
Christopher Armstrong