[openstack-dev] Discussion around blueprint https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/add-disk-config-to-xenstore

Richard Goodwin richard.goodwin at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jun 18 17:42:05 UTC 2013

Bob,

If the user is cognizant of the extension, they may want to do post-build activities based on the value. I think that's the use for this particular case.

As for exposing them in a more general fashion, I agree with both of your points: there can be use to expose them, and also reasons to keep certain ones private. So, I think that whatever method we used would need to allow for that. Glance is solving for exposing image metadata ("protected properties"), but I don't believe anything equivalent exists for this case.

Richard Goodwin
Product Manager – Cloud Servers & Cloud Images
Ideation | Intellection | Activator | Relator | Responsibility
Phone: (512) 788 5403 – Cell: (512) 736-7897 (Austin)
Skype: rtgoodwin<file:///callto/::rtgoodwin> - Yahoo: richardtgoodwin<file:///ymsgr/sendim%3Frichardtgoodwin>
AIM: dellovision - IRC: goody / rgoodwin

From: Bob Ball <bob.ball at citrix.com<mailto:bob.ball at citrix.com>>
Date: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] Discussion around blueprint https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/add-disk-config-to-xenstore

I don’t have any objections to this being exposed – but the question was should we expose it, and I don’t see any benefit to the user for this particular key.   Of course, as you say, a provider may want to expose many specific metadata keys.  Perhaps we should look at how to do this generically rather than special-casing the disk-config key?

I suspect it would not be desirable to expose _all_ metadata keys to the guest?  I’m not sure what metadata we have at the moment, but I can certainly imagine adding some metadata that would be best to stay private in the future.

Bob