[openstack-dev] Gerrit's Jenkins should stop running tests after first failure

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 16:49:52 UTC 2013

On 06/18/2013 12:43 PM, Martina Kollarova wrote:
> Jenkins keeps running all the tests, even if the basic pep8 test fails,
> and runs all of the (very slow) Tempest Quantum tests, even though
> almost all of them are failing.
>
> I propose that it should fail and stop all of the other tests once there
> is a failure in a voting test. For non-voting tests, it should stop only
> itself, not the others.
>
> This would decrease the feedback loop and we wouldn't have to wait for
> the non-voting Quantum tests to see that they failed as always.
>
> The nosetest tool has a parameter '--stop' which will cause it to exit
> on first failure.

++ I support this on the check pipeline. It may certainly reduce the
time that folks are waiting on checks...

The downside, of course, is that the developer may fix only the issue
that causes one failure, and then when pushing that next fix, they hit
another different failure, and so on.

But overall, I think it's probably a good idea.

-jay