[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Cannot run complete set of unit tests

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Jun 18 16:17:02 UTC 2013

On 19 June 2013 03:56, Clark Boylan <clark.boylan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I finally got around to looking into this today. I ran `tox -epy27`
> locally a couple times and noticed that test numbers did vary (but not
> as wildly as reported earlier). My next step was to source the tox
> py27 virtualenv then to `testr list-tests | wc -l` to get a rough
> number for the total number of tests (if tests are dynamically created
> at run time this number will be low). This gave me 5986 well above the
> ~5500-5600 that were actually running. At this point I wanted to
> remove parallel testing from the equation to see if all tests run
> properly in serial. `testr run` ran 2368 tests so removing parallel
> testing did not fix the problem.
>
> Running the tests in this way did produce some interesting output in
> the subunit log [1]. Notice that the NEC agent is returning 0. This
> kills the test runner prematurely and tells testr that tests passed.
> This sys.exit(0) shouldn't be in the test path like this. I haven't
> looked at what fixing this will entail but it is probably possible to
> catch the SystemExit exception in the test and ignore it. I have a
> hunch the proper fix will involve making the NEC agent more properly
> unit testable. I will defer to those with more knowledge of OpenStack
> Networking for the actual fix.

So, I think
try:
except SystemExit:

in the test is a good first approximation - this should be the first step.

Clark and I chatted on IRC... it's pretty bad form to catch SystemExit
in library frameworks - it gets in the way of anyone *wanting* to stop
a process. It's possible we can do something reasonably tasteful where
we catch it, emit a test failure, and then rethrow it; please feel
free to file a bug (on testtools), but its definitely not as trivial
as 'start catching it like any other exception'.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist