[openstack-dev] tags to deleted branches

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jun 18 05:50:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-18 at 00:20 -0400, Monty Taylor wrote:

> On 06/18/2013 12:09 AM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> > I notice on some projects like nova and quantum (I presume with milestone proposed commits)
> > that the 2013.2.b1 tag was created on the now removed milestone-proposed branch.
> > Therefore `git describe` and `git log --decorate` etc. on master, ignore the latest tag.
> > I was wondering if it would be better to tag on master itself?
> > Also could these tags be retroactively be adjusted to point to corresponding master commits?
>
> Well, we release from the tag, so we can't move them. We've discussed
> merging milestone-proposed back in to master after release - but there's
> a few logistical issues about doing that. Perhaps we should revisit that
> discussion.

That strikes me as a little artificial. For the final release, the tag
is the starting point of the stable branch and that makes total sense.

Then again, if it makes git-describe output nicer, maybe there's no
harm.

Btw, this merge commit on master shouldn't change master at all .. it
should be e.g.

  $> git checkout 0e760b3
  $> git merge -s ours 2013.2.b1
  $> git show --pretty=raw 0e760b3 | grep '^tree'
  tree aae4de9b4e193a3784d7530fdcda0cce6f905683
  $> git show --pretty=raw HEAD | grep '^tree'
  tree aae4de9b4e193a3784d7530fdcda0cce6f905683

I've filed a bug:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/+bug/1192039

Cheers,
Mark.