[openstack-dev] [metrics] Code contribution by 3rd party consultant on behalf of a corporation

Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona jgb at bitergia.com
Mon Jun 17 21:34:49 UTC 2013

For the reports on contributions to releases, we're counting individual
controbibutions (as gitdm guys do), and then we have a table (which
should have pretty much the same info that the gitdm table has), which
states that developer D works for company C for such and such period.
So, I guess we use basically the same methodology.

An Monty suggests, if a certain developer can be counted as working for
a certain company during a certain period, it really doesn't matter if
she/he is working subcontracted, or what.

I see two cases that could not be tracked with this schema:

- Developer D working for company B and C at the same time (maybe
because of subcontracting, or whatever). The only chance I see here is
to label each commit somehow, maybe with the "Contributed for:
<affiliation>" field suggested by Stefano.

- Developer D working for company C, which during a certain period is
subcontracting for company D. In this  case, both D and C could be
interested in appearing as "contributors", probably in different
classifications. If we come to direct affiliations, C would be the
contributor. If we come to "who is paying", it would be D. Probably
having both rankings would be important: company C would be interested
in others knowing that they have expertise in working in OpenStack,
while company D would be interested in showing their contributions. This
could be tracked with an extended table, including not only affiliation
(as we do now), but also subcontracting (for which company is really
working each developer, for each period).

Of course, both cases could happen at the same time, but I don't know if
that actually happens.

In addition, it is important to notice that we're also trying to track
closing tickets, messages, etc. which complicates things, since we would
need (in the case of tracking specific contributions) similar labels for
all of this.

Just my two (euro)cents,

	Jesus.

Bitergia: http://bitergia.com http://blog.bitergia.com

On Mon, 2013-06-17 at 20:50 +0000, Qing He wrote:
> [Qing] my  one cent:

[...]