[openstack-dev] Nova list with all-tenants flag

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Jun 17 18:30:16 UTC 2013

Is there ever a situation where you would use tenant_id and not want
all_tenants=1?  If there is then I can maybe see leaving it, but if
tenant_id implies all_tenants=1 then IMHO it's rather poor to force the
user to remember to set it.

To be honest, as someone fairly new to OpenStack I found it very
unintuitive that a request made as an admin user doesn't behave as
though it came from an admin unless an extra option is set.  By way of
analogy, I feel like this would be similar to if vim required you to do
"# vim --as-root some-file" to edit a file as root.  I already
authenticated as root (or admin), why are you forcing me to reiterate
that I am?  If I don't want admin privileges I won't use an admin user.

/my 2 cents

-Ben