[openstack-dev] Moniker renamed to Designate, and applies for Incubation.

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Sun Jun 16 04:00:11 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> On 06/10/2013 10:49 AM, Mac Innes, Kiall wrote:
> > On 10/06/13 15:20, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> >> On 2013-06-10 13:30:26 +0000 (+0000), Mac Innes, Kiall wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> And even that is a very understated description, focusing on
> >> network-related applications of DNS.
> >
> > Absolutely - DNS is used for all sorts of purposes.
> >
> > Some interesting use cases are service discovery[1], replacing the
> > traditional model of trust in browsers for HTTPS[2], authenticating
> > email with DKIM[3], establishing SSH host key trust[4], aiding in the
> > prevention of spam[5].. and many many more. Not all these examples are
> > practical today, but they do provide examples of DNS functions which are
> > outside the scope of OpenStack Networking.
>
> SO - As a huge supporter of using dns for things (since it's the world's
> most scalable database), can I turn this around a little bit?
>
> Why don't we use DNS and/or a DNSaaS implementation to do the things in
> the list that are above that are currently keystone's job in openstack?
> Or, stated differently, why isn't this part of keystone, or keystone
> part of this? It seems like some of the things that keystone needs to do
> moving forward (global registry) have been working in the DNS for, well,
> a long time...

If you use OpenStack you have no choice but to use Keystone. This isn't
really the case with Designate, and I think it would be difficult for it to
be a required service. Maybe Keystone could have a driver that interacts
with Designate for global registry, if Designate is being used?

It really makes sense for this to be a standalone service that other
services interact with. It's very possible that some infrastructures may
choose to use Designate to manage their DNS without using any other
OpenStack service.

- Ryan