[openstack-dev] Moniker renamed to Designate, and applies for Incubation.

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sun Jun 16 01:37:09 UTC 2013

On 06/10/2013 10:49 AM, Mac Innes, Kiall wrote:
> On 10/06/13 15:20, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> On 2013-06-10 13:30:26 +0000 (+0000), Mac Innes, Kiall wrote:
>> [...]
>>> DNS on the other hand is about deciding where to send those bits
>> [...]
>>
>> And even that is a very understated description, focusing on
>> network-related applications of DNS.
>
> Absolutely - DNS is used for all sorts of purposes.
>
> Some interesting use cases are service discovery[1], replacing the
> traditional model of trust in browsers for HTTPS[2], authenticating
> email with DKIM[3], establishing SSH host key trust[4], aiding in the
> prevention of spam[5].. and many many more. Not all these examples are
> practical today, but they do provide examples of DNS functions which are
> outside the scope of OpenStack Networking.

SO - As a huge supporter of using dns for things (since it's the world's
most scalable database), can I turn this around a little bit?

Why don't we use DNS and/or a DNSaaS implementation to do the things in
the list that are above that are currently keystone's job in openstack?
Or, stated differently, why isn't this part of keystone, or keystone
part of this? It seems like some of the things that keystone needs to do
moving forward (global registry) have been working in the DNS for, well,
a long time...