[openstack-dev] "python setup clean" should never call "pip install"

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Jun 14 19:28:22 UTC 2013

Hi everyone!

It'd be nice if "python setup clean" was never doing some pip install.
Because if it does, then this breaks my cowbuilder (eg: the tool which I
use in Jenkins to build my Debian packages in a minimal, clean, chroot).
Here is a good example of a bad thing that can happen:
https://debian.pkgs.enovance.com/job/python-keystoneclient/12/console

What happens is that, before downloading the build-dependencies,
git-buildpackage calls clean (that's the way it works), it then calls
"python setup.py clean -a", which then does the wrong thing.

I have ways to fix it: disable "python setup.py clean -a" (by adding
override_dh_auto_clean), and do the work myself, as a package
maintainer, to clean built files.

Though I'm sure that everyone would agree that this is not the best
solution. Best would be if I could use upstream's clean script, though
in the current state of things, I just can't ... :/

If the above isn't clean (I'm really bad at explaining, sorry), let me
know and I'll try again.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)