[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Code review I7ec346db: Improve usability when backdoor_port is nonzero

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Fri Jun 14 15:39:32 UTC 2013

> I'm not adverse to the idea. It would require some education on the part of the users. I assume the usage is something like this:
I think it would be best to have a CLI wrapper.
> socat <unix domain socket> <exec telnet>
> Which could be scripted, a requirements of mine, so that I can script the periodic collection of call stacks.

You'd use the following to connect to a socket:
$ socat -v READLINE UNIX-CONNECT:/path/to/the.socket

However, as you indicated, socat could also be used to provide direction to TCP such that a standard telnet tool could be used. That might make sense in some scenarios, but doesn't from the simple case of, "I'm on the command-line". This could be wrapped or reimplemented through one of the CLI tools.

Regards,
Eric Windisch