[openstack-dev] [Heat] Autoscaling and the Rackspace Otter project

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Jun 13 09:42:58 UTC 2013

On 13/06/13 00:06, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> To be clear up front, this is /not/ meant as a competitor to Heat's
> autoscaling implementation. The main intent of the open sourcing, in
> fact, is so that Heat can easily adapt the API and implementation to its
> own use, and eventually have Rackspace use Heat and its autoscaling
> directly. The Otter project was started last year, and will be the basis
> for the first version of autoscaling at Rackspace. As soon as Autoscale
> in Heat is ready (i.e., it has feature parity with Otter), we plan on
> migrating to Heat.

Thanks for doing this, I think that this kind of openness is really
helpful to the community :)

> I believe the consensus is that the work on the new HOT format and
> underlying design changes is a prerequisite for the autoscaling work
> that Thomas and I are to do, so we'll definitely help with that. I'll
> let someone with a better understanding chime in about that.

Like Angus, I don't agree with this part... clearly the autoscaling work
needs to be closely coordinated with the work that Angus is doing to
integrate with Ceilometer, but I'm not aware of any prerequisites at all
for it going ahead.

cheers,
Zane.