[openstack-dev] Nova scheduler sub-group meeting agenda 6/11

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 17:31:50 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Dugger, Donald D <donald.d.dugger at intel.com
> wrote:

> Current list of topics we're going over is:
>
> 1)   Extending data in host state
> 2)   Utilization based scheduling
> 3)   Whole host allocation capability
> 4)   Coexistence of different schedulers
> 5)   Rack aware scheduling
> 6)   List scheduler hints via API
> 7)   Host directory service
> 8)   The future of the scheduler
> 9)   Network bandwisth aware scheduling (and wider aspects)
> 10) ensembles/vclusters
>
> We've done a first pass over all of these so next will be follow ups to
> see where we are.  But first, a new issue was raised at the last meeting:
>
> 11) Scheduler scalability
>
> The assertion was that BlueHost has created an OpenStack cluster with
> ~16,000 nodes and the scheduler didn't scale, they had to throw it out
> completely and just put in a simple random selection scheduler.  Obviously
> scalability of the scheduler is a concern so I'd like to spend this meeting
> discussing this topic.  (If someone from BlueHost could attend that would
> be great).

This is what I am basing my information on (
http://www.openstack.org/summit/portland-2013/session-videos/presentation/using-openstack-in-a-traditional-hosting-environment
starting
at 9:45). Compute nodes broadcast updates to the schedulers every minute
which for 16k nodes is 266 messages a second (on average).  And with the
scheduler being single threaded, processing these messages will keep the
scheduler(s) very busy just processing compute broadcasts.