[openstack-dev] Official Python 3 Policy

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 12 11:31:46 UTC 2013

Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11 2013, Joe Gordon wrote:
>> As many of you have probably seen, there has been a community
>> effort to begin the slow process to making OpenStack python 3
>> compatible. There is even a weekly meeting discussion it (
>> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/python3/2013/)
>>
>> As this is inherently a massive cross project effort, I was
>> hoping the TC would comment on the python 3 efforts.
>>
>> * What versions of python we want to compatible with * Do we
>> *want* all projects to by python 3 compatible or should we focus
>> our efforts on oslo and client libraries etc? * Do we want to
>> begin gating on some python 3 compatibility?
>> https://github.com/openstack-dev/hacking/commit/e0ab03637da65bfc6035091989b62fc70ae363a5
>>

> It kind of seems obvious to me that nobody in the TC is going to
> object to any effort bringing compatibility to Python 3. :-) I
> bless that and would love to help going into this direction
> actually.

Yeah, I don't really think you need the TC involved at this point...
discussion on -dev and lazy consensus should work perfectly alright.
If you end up facing opposition and we end up needing to pick between
going Py3 and not going Py3, I guess that would warrant a TC
discussion, but I don't expect we'll ever come to that. The few times
it was mentioned in the past there was unanimous support for it...
just not enough resources to drive it.

Happy to see the effort getting more momentum!

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)