[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Official Python 3 Policy

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Tue Jun 11 06:54:41 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11 2013, Joe Gordon wrote:

[ Following up on -dev ]

> As many of you have probably seen, there has been a community effort to
> begin the slow process to making OpenStack python 3 compatible. There is
> even a weekly meeting discussion it (
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/python3/2013/)
>
> As this is inherently a massive cross project effort, I was hoping the TC
> would comment on the python 3 efforts.
>
> * What versions of python we want to compatible with
> * Do we *want* all projects to by python 3 compatible or should we focus
> our efforts on oslo and client libraries etc?
> * Do we want to begin gating on some python 3 compatibility?
> https://github.com/openstack-dev/hacking/commit/e0ab03637da65bfc6035091989b62fc70ae363a5
> * etc.

It kind of seems obvious to me that nobody in the TC is going to object
to any effort bringing compatibility to Python 3. :-) I bless that and
would love to help going into this direction actually.

All project should go to Python 3 at some point, but it seems logical to
start by every dependency like Oslo, and as discussed during the Python
3 session at the summit, starting with client libraries is going to be
easier than porting whole projects. We're probably years from that
concerning projects like Nova for example.
Considering this timeframe, targetting latest Python 3 releases is going
to be largely good enough.

And concerning gating, I can't see any objection as long as everything
is automatized.

--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker # freelance consultant