[openstack-dev] Should RPC consume_in_thread() be more fault tolerant?

Ray Pekowski pekowski at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 19:44:47 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Ray Pekowski <pekowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> I looked into consume_in_thread() and realize that the base thread it
> creates does not in fact do the equivalent of a catch all (except
> Exception).

To be a little more fair on this, both impl_kombu.py and impl_qpid.py use
the _ensure() method inside of their iterconsume() method and that seems to
be the place for catch all type work.  impl_kombu.py has everything but the
call to reconnect() covered in the catch all.  reconnect() is used to
recover from some exceptions, but reconnect() itself could raise and
exception, so there is a hole to be filled.   It might just be best to fill
that hole closest to the base of the thread simply to catch any coding
errors or some future change by someone not aware that everything needs to
be caught.  impl_qpid.py simply doesn't catch everything in the _ensure()
method.