[openstack-dev] [heat] as-update-policy implementation questions

Chan, Winson C winson.c.chan at intel.com
Thu Jun 6 17:50:35 UTC 2013

Heat team,

Regarding blueprint https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/as-update-policy, can you answer the following so to help me speed up where to look?

1) I'm currently thinking that the UpdatePolicy would be enforced (if defined in the stack template) at either AutoScalingGroup.adjust or InstanceGroup.resize in ./heat/engine/resources/autoscaling.py.  I'm trying to understand the flow.  It's not obvious to me where in the cloud watch code that invoke the adjust or resize method when alarm condition is met.  Can you point me in the right direction?

2) Since this relates to rolling update, I need to keep the adjust/resize task in the scheduler until it completed the rolling update.  Do I use the TaskRunner and set up steps in the task with sleep in between steps according to the UpdatePolicy?

Any other guidance?

Thanks.
Winson