[openstack-dev] Feedback wanted please on proposal to make root disk size variable

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Wed Jun 5 12:53:29 UTC 2013

Hi John,

> So you don't resize the root disk, just leave it the size from glance, like gb=0, but you want an upper bound on its size, for snapshots,
>comming from flavour size.
>
>That sounds cool.

Yep, that's basically it.  We want the image owner (via image metadata) and the cloud provider (via the flavor) to both be able to provide their view on how big the root disc should be.  The cloud provider defines the max size, the image owner the min size.

> The bit about increasing the size of the ephemeral disk to provide the max space for the flavour seems a bit overly complex.
> Would it be OK to keep the ephemeral a fixed size. So advertise to the user free disk space on first boot, not total size of disk?
>
>Given the above simplifications, and ignoring the 0GB needing a cap, what about a "no-disk-expand" image flag?

I guess it depends on your users - in our case my worry is that if people realised they were losing some of the disc capacity they were paying for there would be no incentive to every make the value in the image less that the root_gb of the flavor.   The code isn't all that complex, and it's all there in the draft change we posted for review.

The root_gb=0 option still gives cloud providers that want to offer a fixed size ephemeral disk if they want to.

>So don't have a big issue with the proposal, I just wonder if the above meets your needs and makes it simpler?
>John

Appreciate it - looking forward to your support in the review ;-)

Cheers
Phil