[openstack-dev] What it takes to be core

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Mon Jun 3 22:02:50 UTC 2013

In conjunction with my previous email nominating people for -core status, I thought I would also take a minute to explain what I see as the criteria for being a core developer. There's no secret about it, it's not political, and there's no reason not to be transparent. Here's what I look for:

1. At least one release cycle of active contribution and regular code reviews. The more the better.
2. Good judgment in terms of architecture/implementation strategies, demonstrated via #1.
3. Good understanding of our coding standards and best practices, demonstrated via #1.
4. At least a few significant blueprints successfully completed.
5. Great communication skills and teamwork.

To put it simply I look for people who demonstrate commitment and engagement, and who respect the responsibility. It's about helping guide the project and the community as anything. Keep those principles in mind and it doesn't take long to get noticed. :-)

All the best,

    - Gabriel