[openstack-dev] Mapping Usernames from Multiple IdP's to Keystone

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Mon Jun 3 21:08:45 UTC 2013

In support of
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/pluggable-remote-user
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/split-identity
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/federation

We need to figure out what we are going to do when the Identity Backend
is read only.  We need to be able to map the usersIds

There are three identified options:

 1. Have a remapping table

 2. Try domains one by one (exclusively for lookup, never attempt auth)

 3. Agree on a naming convention so that we can deduce domain from the name

Option 3 is preferred, as it allows OpenStack to use the pre-existing
Unique identifiers.  Since  public clouds will have to support arbitrary
email  -> domain mappings or oauth, it might not be simple to map this
to a SQL backend implementation.   However, for those instances, it
should be possible to use the email address as username and continue to
use the UUID as the User Id.

Is there any compelling reason to create a "shadow" entry in Keystone?
It seems that any temporary entries should be role assignments, not user
entries.

Written up here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/mapping-user-ids