[openstack-dev] [Heat] Unique vs. non-unique stack names

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Jul 31 12:36:01 UTC 2013

On 30/07/13 21:34, Jason Dunsmore wrote:
> Hello Heat devs,
>
> I've started doing some testing to find multi-engine bugs, and I
> discovered that it's possible to create two stacks with the same name
> when only a single heat-engine is running.
>
> Here are the results of my tests:
> http://dunsmor.com/heat/multi-engine.html#sec-1-1

Well spotted, thanks. Eventlet magic strikes again :/

> Before I create a bug report about this, is it even necessary to enforce
> unique stack names within a tenant?  Why don't we just key off of the
> stack ID when possible and throw an error when it's not possible to look
> up the stack by name?  This is how novaclient does it.

My 2c: if names don't uniquely name things, they're not particularly
useful. i.e. if any other user in your tenant (or even you yourself) can
[accidentally?] create something with the same name as your thing, then
you have no choice but to remember the UUID of everything you create,
lest you be unable to find it again.

I can't speak for everyone, but I find names easier to remember than UUIDs.

- ZB