[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Ceilometer and nova compute cells

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Jul 31 08:45:26 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31 2013, Sam Morrison wrote:

Hi Sam,

> Does everything that gets stored in the datastore go through the
> ceilometer.collector.metering queue?

If you only use the RPC publisher (which is the default), yes.

> If so maybe the collector could instead of storing the message forward these
> messages to another rabbit server where another collector is running who in
> turn either forwards it up or stores it in the datastore (or both maybe)
> I think the confusing thing to me is how notification messages get into
> ceilometer. The collector does 2 things I think? And it seems to leave the
> messages on the notification.info queue to build up?

Yes, the collector has 2 purposes right now:
1. It listens for notifications on the RPC bus and converts them into
   Samples;
2. It publishes these Samples according to your pipeline.yaml file to
   different conduct, the default being a RPC call on a collector for
   storing these samples.

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker ; freelance consultant