[openstack-dev] Fwd: Blueprint information

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Wed Jul 31 07:57:09 UTC 2013

Hi Ofer,

Basically this operation consists in ensuring that an instance, when it's
booted, is also associated with a floating IP address, and therefore
publicly accessible.
I discussed this topic a couple months ago with another developer, but I am
now unable to find the chat in the openstack-dev IRC logs.

The bottom line is that even if this is registered as a neutron blueprint,
we are not really sure Neutron is the right place to perform orchestration
operation.
And this operation falls into this category - since it involves, creating a
port, ensuring the network for that port is associated with a router,
allocating a floating IP, and associating it with the port.

Currently all the orchestration operations are performed in the module
which configures instances networking, which is part of nova. This module
(nova.network.quantumv2.api) uses the quantum API.
I reckon this blueprint should be implemented there performing the
operations listed above.

Salvatore