[openstack-dev] Auditing Openstack

Jacob Bushman jacob at bluehost.com
Tue Jul 30 18:59:48 UTC 2013

In our deployment we have a custom solution for the orchestration of
Openstack through the API that connects with billing and other external
systems on the back end.

We have found that most of the corruption is introduced by messaging
issues in Openstack.  There are a myriad of edge cases where the status
in the database can become out of sync with what is actually running on
a compute node for instance.

The basic concept of the auditing tools is to compare the information in
the database with the actual state of the compute node and identify
discrepancies.

This is accomplished by parsing the instance XML, external ids of the
tap device and gathering relevant data from the compute node. Then
passing this through an API to our orchestration system and using a
combination of Openstack API calls and DB queries to audit the compute
nodes and make sure the database and the compute nodes are in sync.