[openstack-dev] Python overhead for rootwrap

Sill, Alan alan.sill at ttu.edu
Mon Jul 29 20:31:37 UTC 2013

Speed considerations could be driven not only by the length of the python script, but also by the number of simultaneous calls to it on a distributed (or virtualized( file system.

Alternatives to running the script in normal python execution mode would be to pre-compile (and possibly pre-distribute) it using a utility like cx_freeze. I've had good experiences using this in other similar situations. This might also alleviate the global lock situation. I've seen double-orders-of-magnitue speedups in certain situations with python control scripts on distributed file systems.

http://cx-freeze.sourceforge.net

YMMV.  Let us know what you find as the best solution.

Alan