[openstack-dev] [Heat] Multi region support for Heat

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at redhat.com
Mon Jul 29 00:04:12 UTC 2013

On 26/07/13 09:43 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
>Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2013-07-26 06:37:09 -0700:
>> On 25/07/13 19:07, Bartosz Górski wrote:
>> > We want to start from something simple. At the beginning we are assuming
>> > no dependencies between resources from different region. Our first use
>> > case (the one on the wikipage) uses this assumptions. So this is why it
>> > can be easily split on two separate single region templates.
>> >
>> > Our goal is to support dependencies between resources from different
>> > regions. Our second use case (I will add it with more details to the
>> > wikipage soon) is similar to deploying two instances (app server + db
>> > server) wordpress in two different regions (app server in the first
>> > region and db server in the second). Regions will be connected to each
>> > other via VPN connection . In this case configuration of app server
>> > depends on db server. We need to know IP address of created DB server to
>> > properly configure App server. It forces us to wait with creating app
>> > server until db server will be created.
>>
>> That's still a fairly simple case that could be handled by a pair of
>> OS::Heat::Stack resources (one provides a DBServerIP output it is passed
>> as a parameter to the other region using {'Fn::GetAtt':
>> ['FirstRegionStack', 'Outputs.DBServerIP']}. But it's possible to
>> imagine circumstances where that approach is at least suboptimal (e.g.
>> when creating the actual DB server is comparatively quick, but we have
>> to wait for the entire template, which might be slow).

How about we add an actual heat resource?

So you could aggregate stacks.

We kinda have one with "OS::Heat::Stack", but it doesn't use
python-heatclient. We could solve this by adding an "endpoint"
  property to the "OS::Heat::Stack" resource. Then if it is not
local then it uses python-heatclient to create the nested stack
remotely.

Just a thought.

-Angus