[openstack-dev] [tripleo] removing sudoers.d rules from disk-image-builder

Derek Higgins derekh at redhat.com
Wed Jul 24 21:18:24 UTC 2013

+1 to removing the suders rules we have, there adding overhead and
contain enough wildcards that all they do is give people a false sense
of security

On 23/07/13 17:39, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 23 July 2013 10:52, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net
> <mailto:robertc at robertcollins.net>> wrote:
>
>     So I'd like to change things to say:
>      - either run sudo disk-image-create or
>

> This is probably the simplest option, but it does increase the amount of
> code we're running with elevated privileges, which might be a concern,
> but probably isn't, given the ratio of stuff that currently runs without
> sudo, to the stuff that does.
> I think we also need to do a little work to make this option functional,
> a quick test just now suggests we are doing something wrong with
> ELEMENTS_PATH at least.
>

>      - setup passwordless sudo or
>

> Doesn't sound like a super awesome option to me, it places an ugly
> security problem on anyone wanting to set this up anywhere, imo.

this idea seems best to me, keeping passwordless sudo for a specific
user (not all users as with the current method) and only running the
parts of di-b that need privileges as root makes it less likely
accidents will happen with buggy code.

I don't think its any worse then the security implications of running
di-b as root.