[openstack-dev] [barbican]

Jarret Raim jarret.raim at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jul 24 13:42:13 UTC 2013

>It seems KMIP is getting lots of enterprise attention, so I think it may
>be good candidate for future (as you already mentioned in your email
>below) Barbican feature,  as per the link below it seems our community
>also expects KMIP to be integrated with OpenStack line of products.
>
>https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/KMIPclient

I have heard the interest in KMIP stated several times at the Summit and
on this list. However, I've talked with many large customers and they are
not asking me for KMIP support right now. I think we will support it at
some point in the future, but as there is no python lib, it is a
reasonably large undertaking to build one correctly. If anyone wants to
help with that, we'd love to have you.

On that blueprint, it was only written a week ago. I already posted a
message on why I think implementing KMIP directly into products is a bad
idea, but any project can go whichever way works best for their users.

>Would you mind sharing the Barbican product roadmap (if it is public) as
>I did not find one?

Most of our work is aimed at cleaning up the current features for Havana.
We are cleaning up the API's treatment of content-types and implementing
backend support for various key storage devices (HSMs, etc) and building
out our production environment at Rackspace. Additionally, we have a lot
of 'good citizen' stuff to finish up including usage events, auditing and
some other features.

Going forward, there are some large feature sets we are looking to build
including SSL support (automatic provisioning, lifecycle management) and
federation. I'm hoping we'll get some more good feedback from customers
once we launch, so I'm leaving some room in the roadmap for requests that
may come up.

>Following are some of thoughts on your previous email about KMIP
>
>(*) That is true but it is getting lots of recognition which means in
>future we will see more HSM product with KMIP compatibility.

There are certainly some out there. As they become more popular, we'll
certainly become more interested in supporting them. The key here is that
HSMs can be supported just fine right now using existing libs and PKCS
#11. Until there is a compelling reason to switch to KMIP, I don't see a
lot of effort going there from us.

>(**) I think Barbican will act as a KMS proxy in this case, which does
>not fulfill the KMIP protocol philosophy which build around interaction
>between KMIP client and server.

As I've said before, I don't think expecting products to talk directly
with the KMIP server is realistic. There are a mountain of tasks that a
good openstack service is expected to do including using keystone for
authentication, providing centrally managed RBAC and access control,
providing metrics events to ceilometer, speaking ReST / JSON, scaling from
small private cloud to large public clouds and many more. KMIP servers
will most likely never do those things. It will be much easier to have
openstack speak a to common, restful, open source abstraction. Underneath,
we can deal with the various key storage styles.

>From what I've seen, KMIP doesn't really support the true multi tenancy
use cases such as those needed by Rackspace. I'm would happy to be proven
wrong, but right now this fact makes it impossible for an OpenStack to use
the device directly as Barbican is needed to provide tenant isolation and
authentication. If Barbican wasn't there, every product will need to
understand the HSM model, be able to configure it as needed and submit to
whatever authentication mechanism is required. This means that the choice
of an HSM vendor will leak out into all the services in a deployment,
rather than just the one that needs to deal with it.

Finally, there must be a free and open source implementation for key
management. Not all providers are interested or capable of purchasing HSMs
to back their encryption and are okay with that tradeoff. PKCS and KMIP
have been around for a while now and we've seen almost no adoption outside
of the enterprise and usually just between large enterprise software
packages. I want strong encryption and key management to be easy for
developers to integrate into all software. It needs to be free,
open-source and dev friendly, none of which describes the current state of
the art. Barbican is going to provide key management to openstack and we
hope that other projects will integrate with us. We will also provide key
management directly to customers to ensure that everyone can build strong
data protection into their applications.

Now if we can just get HSM vendors to install Barbican on their devices,
maybe we'd have something :)

Thanks,
Jarret