[openstack-dev] Python 3

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jul 23 22:02:40 UTC 2013

On Jul 23, 2013, at 3:51 PM, Eric Windisch <eric at cloudscaling.com<mailto:eric at cloudscaling.com>>
 wrote:

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Logan McNaughton <logan at bacoosta.com<mailto:logan at bacoosta.com>> wrote:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what exactly is the plan for Python 3 support?

Is the plan to support 2 and 3 at the same time? I was looking around for a blue print or something but I can't seem to find anything.

I suppose a wiki page is due.  This was discussed at the last summit: https://etherpad.openstack.org/havana-python3

The plan is to support Python 2.6+ for the 2.x series and Python 3.3+. This effort has begun for libraries (oslo) and clients. Work is appreciated on the primary projects, but will ultimately become stalled if the library work is not first completed.

FWIW, I came across https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3Deps and updated "routes", which currently works with 3.3. One small step, for free!

I'm a newcomer to this list, but I'm a CPython core contributor and am working in Developer Relations at Rackspace, so supporting Python 3 is right up my alley.