[openstack-dev] [keystone] Extending policy checking to include target entities

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Tue Jul 23 17:17:45 UTC 2013

Hi Henry

using the XACML processing model, the functionality that you are
describing, which you say is currently partly missing from Keystone, is
that of the context handler. Its job is to marshall all the attributes
that are needed and put them into the request context for calling the
policy engine. So it should be perfectly possible for the API call to
simply name a target object and an operation (such as Delete userID),
then the keystone context handler can fetch the various attributes of
the target (using a function called the Policy Information Point in
XACML), add them to the request to the policy engine (in the delete
userID case all you might need to fetch is the domain id), then get the
response from the policy engine, and if granted, hand back control to
Keystone to continue processing the request.

Of course the tricky thing is knowing which object attributes to fetch
for which user API requests. In the general case you cannot assume that
Keystone knows the format or structure of the policy rules, or which
attributes each will need, so you would need a specific tailored context
handler to go with a specific policy engine. This implies that the
context handler and policy engine should be pluggable Keystone
components that it calls, and that can be switchable as people decide
use different policy engines.

Hope this helps

regards

David