[openstack-dev] [Heat] Multi region support for Heat

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Jul 23 16:03:46 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Steve Baker's message of 2013-07-22 21:43:05 -0700:
> On 07/23/2013 10:46 AM, Angus Salkeld wrote:
> > On 22/07/13 16:52 +0200, Bartosz Górski wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I would like to start a discussion about the blueprint I raised about
> >> multi region support.
> >> I would like to get feedback from you. If something is not clear or
> >> you have questions do not hesitate to ask.
> >> Please let me know what you think.
> >>
> >> Blueprint:
> >> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/multi-region-support
> >>
> >> Wikipage:
> >> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Blueprints/Multi_Region_Support_for_Heat
> >>

> > What immediatley looks odd to me is you have a MultiCloud Heat talking
> > to other Heat's in each region. This seems like unneccessary
> > complexity to me.
> > I would have expected one Heat to do this job.
>
> It should be possible to achieve this with a single Heat installation -
> that would make the architecture much simpler.

Agreed that it would be simpler and is definitely possible.

However, consider that having a Heat in each region means Heat is more
resilient to failure. So focusing on a way to make multiple Heat's
collaborate, rather than on a way to make one Heat talk to two regions
may be a more productive exercise.