[openstack-dev] [neutron] Neutron Network Statistics

Mellquist, Peter peter.mellquist at hp.com
Tue Jul 23 00:22:10 UTC 2013

Hi!

I am interested to know if the topic of surfacing networking statistics through the Neutron APIs has been discussed and if there are any existing blueprints working on this feature?  Specifically,  the current APIs, https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/APIv2-specification, do not support reading network counters typically available through SNMP. I think these '/stats' would prove to be quite valuable for performance and fault monitoring. If I am a Openstack / Neutron tenant and I have created my own networks, how can I see performance and faults?

Examples,
GET     /networks/{network_id}/stats
GET    /subnets/{subnet-id}/stats
GET   /floatingips/{floatingip_id}/stats

Status          : [up,down,error]
Usage           : [sum of Tx and Rx packets]
ReceivedRate    : [Rate of data received in kB/sec]
TransmittedRate : [Rate of data transmitted in kB/sec]
PacketTx        : [total # of packets transmitted since reset]
PacketRx        : [total # of packets received in since reset]
Etc ...

Thanks,
Peter.