[openstack-dev] [Heat] Long-term, how do we make heat image/flavor name agnostic?

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Thu Jul 18 23:25:48 UTC 2013

Thanks Steve,

> InstanceType and ImageId could even be specified in the environment file
> that is specified on launch, so they don't need to be specified in the launch
> command, ie env.yaml:
> parameters:
>   KeyName: heat_key
>   InstanceType: m1.micro
>   ImageId: ubuntu-vm-heat-cfntools-tempest

The environment file would provide a stopgap solution, at least allowing deployers to adapt a known set of templates to a known set of images... it's still a lot of manual fiddling, and limiting in the long run since it doesn't account for unknowns or future change.

I'd be curious to see a "best practices" guide to taking a standard CFN template and using an environment file as the bridge to making it work on any given cloud...

All the best,

     - Gabriel