[openstack-dev] common codes

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Jul 16 13:18:37 UTC 2013

On 07/16/2013 12:56 AM, Zhongyue Luo wrote:
> Gareth,
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo#Principles
>
> I believe this link will answer most of your answers.

This is very topical, we've just been having a closely related discussion.

There is another class of common code and we're not sure if the Oslo
principles covers it, let me explain:

Many of the openstack projects are divided into client and server
packages. There is often common code shared between both the client and
server packages. Current practice appears to be cut-n-paste copying of
common code between the client and server components. This is poor
software practice, it makes maintenance difficult. Bug fixes applied to
one side are inadvertently missed on the other side. When making feature
enhancements one must be careful to update all copies of the code.

The oslo principles seem to require code that is generally useful across
projects, that seems to eliminate the intra-project common code which is
not shared across projects.

Is oslo the location for intra-project common code or not?

Or is a layout for project XXX like this more appropriate?

XXX
python-XXXclient
XXX-common

John