[openstack-dev] Program Description for OpenStack QA

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Jul 15 18:18:04 UTC 2013

On 07/15/2013 08:07 AM, Sean Dague wrote:

>>> I haven't read the full discussion on this so apologies if I am
>>> missing something, but why devstack is no part of this?
>>
>> Devstack falls somewhere between QA and Infrastructure... We raised
>> briefly the subject of where we should attach it during the initial
>> discussion on programs, then punted for later discussion.
>>
>> It falls in the same bucket as other "central" repositories like
>> openstack/requirements -- everyone ends up contributing to those so it's
>> difficult to attach them to any given program/team.
>
> Right, devstack's primary mission is still providing development
> environments to developers. We reuse it in QA and Infra, but it's kind
> of a different beast.
>
> So for now it just remains what it is, which I think is fine. I think
> it's good to be pragmatic about Programs and only fit the git trees that
> naturally fit into them, and just be really concerned that every git
> tree we carry has to be owned by a program.

I actually think it fits well into the QA umbrella.  Yes, it's for dev
environments, but what it provides is the ability to easily test your
changes while developing.  And as a result, it works great for QA/Infra
needs.  An easy OpenStack test environment is what devstack really
provides, IMO.

--
Russell Bryant