[openstack-dev] AMQP Version upgrade plans?

William Henry whenry at redhat.com
Fri Jul 12 22:08:50 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On 07/11/2013 12:06 PM, William Henry wrote:

Right you still have the leak. Right auto-delete on exchanges in Qpid would mitigate.

Qpid never supported this because, to my knowledge, auto-delete on exchanges didn't mean anything or have any value in Qpid. I'm not sure it was ever mentioned in the old pre AMQP 1.0 spec. (I'd need to check).

And anyway exchanges don't mean anything in AMQP anymore. And don't mean anything in nonAMQP messaging - though AMQP implementations are not prohibited from implementing the queue/topic/fanout using exchange patterns.

> As for migration to AMQP 1.0, how do these changes help?  Supporting
> AMQP 1.0 requires an entirely new driver that uses Qpid Proton, right?
> How does changing addressing in the current Qpid driver (that will never
> do 1.0) help?

Actually Qpid project saw the pending AMQP 1.0 ramifications early on and created an addressing mechanism that supported AMQP 1.0 addressing in Qpid long before Qpid/Proton.

So the changes I made recently would mean a simplified driver migration process.

But you are correct, it would still need that migration to a new driver.

It's my opinion that moving from a driver I recently submitted to the new driver would be very simple because of the way I've restructured the addressing.

All great points you raise Russell.

William