[openstack-dev] [Openstack] Improve inject network configuration

Brian Lamar brian.lamar at rackspace.com
Fri Jul 12 05:10:48 UTC 2013

Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 07/11/2013 08:53 PM, Jae Sang Lee wrote:
>> Hi, stackers.
>>
>> When creating vm using multi nics, User should power up the second
>> interface on the instance manually for use second IP.
>> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/using-multi-nics.html
>>

>> I intend to fix interfaces.template file, so It can be possible power up
>> other interface during booting time automatically.
>>
>> I registered blueprint for this a month
>> ago.(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/better-network-injection)
>>
>> But not yet approved.
>>
>> If you have permission to approve who read this mail, please approve my
>> blueprint.
>
> Honestly, I think network injection is evil and I'd rather remove it
> completely. I'm certainly not too interested in trying to add more
> features to it.

Can you elaborate on this a little more? Do you not like file injection
or dynamic network allocation?

Can you provide alternative strategies that could be applied to solve
the issue of dynamically brining up interfaces or do you think this is
out of the project scope (controlling the internals of VMs)?