[openstack-dev] Revert Pass instance host-id to Quantum using port bindings extension.

Aaron Rosen arosen at nicira.com
Thu Jul 11 20:30:40 UTC 2013

Hi,

I think we should revert this patch that was added here (
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/29767/). What this patch does is when
nova-compute calls into quantum to create the port it passes in the
hostname on which the instance was booted on. The idea of the patch was
that providing this information would "allow hardware device vendors
management stations to allow them to segment the network in a more precise
manager (for example automatically trunk the vlan on the physical switch
port connected to the compute node on which the vm instance was started)."

In my opinion I don't think this is the right approach. There are several
other ways to get this information of where a specific port lives. For
example, in the OVS plugin case the agent running on the nova-compute node
can update the port in quantum to provide this information. Alternatively,
quantum could query nova using the port.device_id to determine which server
the instance is on.

My motivation for removing this code is I now have the free cycles to work
on https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-api-quantum-create-port
discussed here (
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-May/009088.html)  .
This was about moving the quantum port creation from the nova-compute host
to nova-api if a network-uuid is passed in. This will allow us to remove
all the quantum logic from the nova-compute nodes and
simplify orchestration.

Thoughts?

Best,

Aaron