[openstack-dev] SQLAlchemy-migrate needs a new maintainer

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Jul 11 19:12:43 UTC 2013

On 07/11/2013 02:40 PM, David Ripton wrote:
> OpenStack is currently divided.  Older projects like Nova use
> sqlalchemy-migrate.  Some newer projects like Neutron use alembic.
>
> I'd personally like to see everything in Alembic, but migrating all the
> Nova scripts in a way that didn't break compatibility will be a big
> challenge.  It's easier for projects with less to port.
>
> Another option is to take over maintaining sqlalchemy-migrate and bend
> it to our needs.  (It's mostly okay, but the big issue for me is its use
> of strictly incrementing integer sequence numbers.  That both causes
> problems when competing patches in review race for the same filename,
> and when we try to backport some but not all migration scripts to a
> stable branch.)  We already apply some patches to upstream, so having a
> friendly maintainer who would apply patches that OpenStack needs would
> be helpful.
>
> This will be a topic at the DB meeting today at 1900 UTC (about 20
> minutes from when I send this email).  So please attend if it's
> important to you.
>

> On 07/11/2013 02:18 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> Discussing with Jan Dittberner, who is upstream for sqlalchemy-migrate,
>> it appears that he doesn't have time to maintain it.
>>
>> Is the OpenStack project willing to take over? Jan is ok to hand over
>> everything, moving to Github, give access to Pypi, etc. Below is his
>> reply to me when I asked him.

Hi - We discussed this in the db meeting and decided that as much as
we're not thrilled with sqlalchemy-migrate (I believe boris-42 summed it
up as "bad bad bad very bad things") we've got a pretty strong
dependency on it right now and for the next while.

SO - let's work on getting it moved into our systems and then we at
least have the ability to patch/release if needed.