[openstack-dev] [keystone] sqlite doesn't support migrations

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 17:12:18 UTC 2013

Just as a general statement, outside the scope of openstack, I don't think
sqlite is intended to support schema evolution. From the sqlite docs [1]:
"SQLite supports a limited subset of ALTER TABLE. [...] It is not possible
to rename a column, remove a column, or add or remove constraints from a
table."

We've been through hell trying to support migrations on sqlite, because we
test against sqlite, and because we test our migrations... on sqlite. So,
we've already shot ourselves in the foot. We're clearly moving towards
gating against mysql + postgresql, so in the mean time, let's limit the
amount of effort we put into further support sqlite migrations until we can
safely rip it out altogether.

[1]: http://www.sqlite.org/lang_altertable.html

-Dolph