[openstack-dev] The danger of capping python-*clients in core projects, and forbidding it in the future

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jul 10 21:42:39 UTC 2013

Yesterday in the very exciting run around to figure out why the gate was
broken, we realized something interesting. Because of the way the gate
process pip requirements (one project at a time), on a current gate run
we actually install and uninstall python-keystoneclient 4 times in a
normal run, flipping back and forth from HEAD to 0.2.5.

http://paste.openstack.org/show/39880/ - shows what's going on

The net of this means that if any of the projects specify a capped
client, it has the potential for preventing that client from being
tested in the gate. This is very possibly part of the reason we ended up
with a broken python-keystoneclient 0.3.0 released.

I think we need to get strict on projects and prevent them from capping
their client requirements. That will also put burden on clients that
they don't break backwards compatibility (which I think was a goal
regardless). However there is probably going to be a bit of pain getting
from where we are today, to this world.

This is both a heads up, and a time for discussion, before we start
figuring out how to make this better in the gate.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net