[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Service Type Framework implementation

Akihiro MOTOKI amotoki at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 10:33:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

Sorry for late cut-in,

I agree that dynamic configuration through the API is not easy to implement.
At now, conf-based approach without database (option-1) looks the best way
unless we
don't have needs for dynamic configuration thru the API.

> 1) From logic perspective service provider could be referenced by
(service_type, name) as it's unique primary key.
> 2) From data normalization perspective it's better (and more convenient)
to have an unique ID in resource provider model.
> Obviously having ID works for DB implementation and doesn't work for
in-memory implementation.
> In other words, we can't use ID if we go with in-memory implementation.

I think ID is not necessarily required.
In DB approach, we can specify multiple fields as a primary key.
In in-memory approach, we can use a json-serialized string as a key
like json.dumps({'type': 'xxx', 'name': 'yyy'}).

In typical use cases,
(1) neutron-server retrieves a provider from assocation table
    (which is usually implemented on database)
(2) neutron-server determines a driver from a provider.
In this case, dict-based approach does enough I believe.
Is there any other typical access pattern?

> 3) From data modelling perspective it's better to have ID in service
provider model as referencing models will be simpler and easier to maintain.

As long as we don't have more keys than type and name to identify providers,
(type, name) combination looks simple enough.

"service provider" is similar to "flavor" in nova at some point.
"flavor" represents a combination of many fields.
If there is a possible case where a provider definition have more unique
keys, ID approach makes sense much.

> 4) From CLI perspective it's more convenient if resource has ID, it's a
common way of specifying resource.

API perspective for an association from a resource to a provider,
a "type" is determined from a resource and what we need to specify is only
"name".
As long as we can identify a provider by (type, name),
there is no difference between using "ID" and using "name".

Regarding a possible demerit without ID, it is difficult to specify a
specific provider to show its detail.
At now a provider has only a couple of visible field (type, name, default)
through API, so list-service-providers does enough and show-service-provider
does not provide more. (It just provides API consistency with other
resources.)

> 5) From user perspective it's more convenient to specify the name of
service provider.
> But that is usually solved either by Horizon or by cli, like it's done
for networks/subnets where name of the object is specified.

Thanks,
Akihiro

Akihiro MOTOKI <amotoki at gmail.com>