[openstack-dev] Proposal for new Program: OpenStack Deployment

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Jul 10 08:40:41 UTC 2013

On 10 July 2013 20:01, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Robert Collins wrote:
> > Official Title: OpenStack Deployment
> > PTL: Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net
> > <mailto:robertc at robertcollins.net>
> > Mission Statement:
> >   Develop and maintain tooling and infrastructure able to
> >   deploy OpenStack in production, using OpenStack itself wherever
> >   possible.
> >
> > I believe everyone is familiar with us, but just in case, here is some
> > background: we're working on deploying OpenStack to bare metal using
> > OpenStack components and cloud deployment strategies - such as Heat for
> > service orchestration, Nova for machine provisioning Neutron for network
> > configuration, golden images for rapid deployment... etc etc. So far we
> > have straight forward deployment of bare metal clouds both without Heat
> > (so that we can bootstrap from nothing), and with Heat (for the
> > bootstrapped layer), and are working on the KVM cloud layer at the moment.
>
> Could you provide the other pieces of information mentioned at:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/NewPrograms

ack:

* Detailed mission statement (including why their effort is essential
to the completion of the OpenStack mission)

I think this is covered. In case its not obvious: if you can't install
OpenStack easily, it becomes a lot harder to deliver to users. So
deployment is essential (and at the moment the market is assessing the
cost of deploying OpenStack at ~ 60K - so we need to make it a lot
cheaper).

* Expected deliverables and repositories

We'll deliver and maintain working instructions and templates for
deploying OpenStack.
Repositories that are 'owned' by Deployment today
diskimage-builder
tripleo-image-elements
triple-heat-templates
os-apply-config
os-collect-config
os-refresh-config
toci [triple-o-CI][this is something we're discussing with infra about
where it should live... and mordred and jeblair disagree with each
other :)].
tripleo-incubator [we're still deciding if we'll have an actual CLI
tool or just point folk at the other bits, and in the interim stuff
lives here].

* How 'contribution' is measured within the program (by default,
commits to the repositories associated to the program)

Same as rest of OpenStack : commits to any of these repositories, and
we need some way of recognising non-code contributions like extensive
docs/bug management etc, but we don't have a canned answer for the
non-code aspects.

* Main team members
Is this the initial review team, or something else? If its the review
team, then me/Clint/Chris Jones/Devananda.
If something else then I propose we start with those who have commits
in the last 6 months, namely [from a quick git check, this may be
imperfect]:
Me
Clint Byrum
Chris Jones
Ghe Rivero
Chris Krelle
Devananda van der Veen
Derek Higgins
Cody Somerville
Arata Notsu
Dan Prince
Elizabeth Krumbach
Joe Gordon
Lucas Alvares Gomes
Steve Baker
Tim Miller

Proposed initial program lead (PTL)
I think yours truely makes as much sense as anything :).

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist