[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Best way to do something MySQL-specific?

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Jul 9 01:55:07 UTC 2013

Tokens are, for the most part, immutable.  Once they are written, they
don't change except if they get revoked.  This is a fairly rare
occurance, but it does happen.

Deleting tokens based on age should be fairly straight forward, and
locks should not need to be held for a significant amount of time.

My guess, however, is that the problem is SQL Alchemy:

         query = session.query(TokenModel)
         query = query.filter(TokenModel.expires < timeutils.utcnow())
         query.delete(synchronize_session=False)

If it is doing a fetch and then the delete, then the rows would be held
for a short period of time.

Direct SQL might be a better approach:  prepare a statement:

"delete from token where expires < $1"

and then bind and execute in one command.

However, it seems to me that the conflict detection is the problem.  I
don't know if there is a way to state "ignore any future queries that
would match this criteria."   It does seem to me that even doing this
degree of conflict detection is somewhat violating the principal of
Isolation.

There might be an approach using table partitioning as well, where you
only write to partition one, and delete from partition 2, and then swap.