[openstack-dev] sqlalchemy 0.8 and Grizzly

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jul 8 12:32:41 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 04:50 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 15:53 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since python-sqlalchemy 0.8.2 has been uploaded to Sid, Quantum is
>> uninstallable there right now (see #715294).
>>
>> I am wondering: what's wrong with sqlalchemy >= 0.8, so that it is
>> written explicitly in the requirements that we shouldn't use it? Is
>> there a chance that having such a version of sqlalchemy will make all of
>> OpenStack grizzly fail? What are the consequences? Would it be safe to
>> simply patch the requirements file and ignore this?
>
> Don't really have a comment on the specifics, but ...

The history of the 0.8 cap was the fact that 0.8beta1 (or something
equiv) was uploaded near a freeze point. <0.8 didn't stop 0.8beta1 from
being used (go version numbers).

Also in 0.8 a piece was spun out as a separate library (I don't remember
exactly which), which causes some build fails. Because it was around a
freeze the cap was the right approach.

However, projects really should be getting themselves on 0.8 in the
Havana time frame. AFAIK it's really minor changes to work, so should be
a simple review to bump it up.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague