[openstack-dev] [Nova] Criteria for compute drivers

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Jul 2 18:38:40 UTC 2013

Greetings,

Nova includes various compute drivers today, but the test coverage they
receive varies quite a bit.  This is documented on the following wiki
page.  The drivers are broken up into groups A, B, and C.

    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix

We have two new compute drivers in the queue for Havana: docker [1] and
z/vm [2].  I'd like to propose as a piece of criteria for inclusion that
new drivers go into groups A or B.

Further, I would like to see *all* drivers move into groups A or B by
the release of Icehouse.  I've been told that this is already in the
works for VMware and baremetal, at least.

I feel like if there isn't enough interesting and willingness to raise
the bar on testing a given compute driver, then we're just wasting our
time and effort having it in the tree.

Feedback welcome!

Thanks,

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/new-hypervisor-docker