[openstack-dev] [oslo.config] Config files overriding CLI: The path of most surprise.

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jul 2 17:48:24 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-01 15:10:26 -0700 (-0700), Mark Washenberger wrote:
[...]
> The talk about permanence confuses me, unless we mean that more
> permanent values are overridden by less permanent ones.
[...]

I think the "permanence" counter argument (which I don't agree with,
just recounting it for completeness) was that command-line arguments
may be embedded in init scripts by some distributions and then
administrators would be surprised when their modifications to the
configuration files weren't respected. Ultimately, however, any time
distribution defaults which could be set in packaged configuration
are instead being set with the service command-line in packaged init
scripts, I would tend to just consider that a (serious) packaging
bug and certainly nothing we should be catering to as a project.
--
{ PGP( 48F9961143495829 ); FINGER( fungi at cthulhu.yuggoth.org );
WWW( http://fungi.yuggoth.org/ ); IRC( fungi at irc.yuggoth.org#ccl );